Friday, September 12, 2014

Best Dr's Advice for a Stressed-out Lazy Mom

~by Veronica G

I went to the doctor last week. I was overwhelmed by my husband's chronic illness and the pressure it was putting on me.  I had gone from being wife and mother to two wild children with my husband's help evenings and weekends, to nurse and mother to 3 - with no husband support, for four weeks straight. I was maxed-out and had been so completely overwhelmed so much that I was simply done.

She gave me what may be the best advice I've ever been given. I will repeat it here with the disclaimer that The material appearing on LazyMomsLikeYou is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

She told me to 1. Make a Schedule (DREAD!!!!!!!) and to schedule in 2. Nothing (AWESOME!!!).
My doctor advised me to set aside 10-30 minutes up to 3 times a day where I do nothing. I should set a timer and sit or lay on the couch or my bed, and do nothing else.

Well I'll be. I never thought I'd ever get permission to do nothing. I was thrilled by this advice and immediately set out to make a schedule, something I'd always abhorred, lazy mom that I am.
Lazy mom schedule in pen on recycled paper

 After I made the basic schedule, I set about to fill it with nothingness. It is actually harder than it looks, but totally worth it. Notice I have the word nothing followed by a "?"  Sometimes I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to fit it in.  Luckily my husband trusts my doctor, and doesn't like living with a crazy person, so he was on board with me doing "nothing" for 10 minutes a day.

Now that I have the time written in the schedule, the trick is to actually do nothing during that time. The task is NOTHING.  So I lay there with a timer counting down my 10 minutes.  I try to close my eyes and not think. If I find myself thinking, I follow the thought a little bit - until I remember I'm supposed to be doing nothing. I try not to focus on my breath, or scratch my head. I try not to wiggle my feet, or relax too deeply.  It is a challenge, but I do enjoy it. I really do. 

I even got my kids on board by telling them my doctor said I needed to take a 10 minute time-out each day and do nothing. They don't want me to get in more trouble by talking during my time-out, so they leave me alone pretty quickly. 

This nothing sure is helping me feel rejuvenated. If you try it and like it, let me know!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment